IUMRS Gender Equity and Diversity Code of Conduct
The International Union of Materials Research Societies (IUMRS) seeks to facilitate international cooperation and information exchange among materials research organizations; to advance multidisciplinary materials research in all its aspects; to promote communication of international materials research activities through appropriate media; to coordinate, develop, promote and encourage series of distinguished international conferences, workshops and outreach activities; and to promote materials science education worldwide.
IUMRS is committed to ensuring broad representation in all its objectives and strives for best practise in gender equity, diversity and inclusiveness in our membership, activities, events, programs, and services.
Expectations of Professional Respectful Behaviour
IUMRS members, committees, commissions, speakers, award recipients, and IUMRS- sponsored conference and event attendees will:
- Demonstrate the values of respect, integrity and collegiality.
- Treat others with respect, dignity and courtesy at all times including on social media.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive environment, free from discrimination and harassment.
- Uphold the reputation and standing of IUMRS.
- Be aware of conscious and unconscious biases that affect who we tend to favour in our decision-making and actions (e.g. for nominations, commission and committee members, awards).
- Maintain awareness of our own conduct and interaction with others when representing or participating in IUMRS activities.
- Maintain awareness of the conduct of others, and where such conduct clearly violates this code of conduct and impacts negatively on others, intervene directly or alert relevant IUMRS representatives promptly (such as organising committee members for IUMRS-sponsored conferences or events, an IUMRS Executive Council (EC) officer or members of the IUMRS Gender Equity and Diversity Committee for all other IUMRS activities).
Harassment in any form, including encouraging harassing behaviour, will not be tolerated. IUMRS members, committees, commissions and conference and event attendees must not tolerate bullying, intimidation, discrimination, sexual harassment, physical or verbal abuse in any of the IUMRS activities including on social media platforms.
IUMRS will take seriously all reports of breaches of this code of conduct. Complaints will be handled with sensitivity, discretion, respect for due process and confidentiality to the extent allowed by the circumstances. Notification of unacceptable behaviour can be made by contacting a conference or event organiser, by emailing your concern to a member of the Gender Equity and Diversity committee or the IUMRS Secretary.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behaviour
- Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behaviour must comply immediately.
- In cases where requests to stop unacceptable behaviour are not complied with, or where the breaches of this code of conduct are deemed by the conference/event organisers or by the IUMRS EC to be of an extremely serious nature, the EC will further investigate the matter and decide on any futher actions that are deemed necessary.
Conferences and events
At all IUMRS-sponsored meetings and events, the IUMRS Gender Equity and Diversity code of conduct must be complied with at all times. In addition, conference chairs and event organisers should ensure that all committees, forums, symposium organisers, session chairs and plenary/invited speakers should demonstrate gender diversity, and, wherever possible strive to be as diverse as the overall materials research community is globally.